Friday 23 September 2011

Q and A with John J Presley



John J Presley plays raw garage blues. Part of the Cold rice collective Vinny and the Curse, this is John on his own, playing what sounds like The Oblivians fronted by Nick Cave, with some Tom Watts thrown in there.  We asked John a few questions; if you like a 'getting to know you' before he plays for us at the Male Bonding show.
  
When did the solo project start? How,when and why? 

I started playing on my own about 6 years ago when i was living in Liverpool, there was no where to rehearse as a band, so i just started writing on my own... I Picked up a guitar at a party and just so happened to play in front of a promoter and most of Liverpool's music scene..... I got a few good gigs

What's your main influence when it comes to writing?



Love and loss...

Want it, got it, got it, want it.

Will it be a full band or just yourself on the 27th, which one do prefer on your own or with a full band?



I'll be playing with my band
I do think i prefer playing with a band, more energy, more eye contact..





Favourite song in your set to play live and why?



Always the latest song....
More room for error, so quite tense to play





Future releases for you?



I've just recorded an album, so some time next year.

Bands to look out for?



Duke Garwood, the most amazing guitar player/Musician
The Brute Chorus, London based, played with them a few times, lovely guys...

Top 5 records that changed your life



I only can do this in 7:
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - A Boatmans Call
Archie Bronson Outfit - Fur
The Black Keys - Thickfreakness
Duke Garwood - Holy Week
Mark Lanegan - Bubblegum
The Kills - Keep On Your Mean Side
Josh T Pearson - Last of the Country Gentleman



Take a listen to John J Presley 


Latest tracks by John J Presley

No comments: